Thursday, August 25, 2011

Al Ain, first impressions

Today (Thursday), I went out to Al Ain for the first time since I arrived in Abu Dhabi. Al Ain is the city where I am supposed to teach. However, while other teachers are moving in to their homes, I am still homeless. I went with a friend who had a lead that lead nowhere.

My first impressions:
-It is frigging hot! I'm getting used to Abu Dhabi's heat, but Al Ain's heat was unbearable. We cannot drink water in public.  As we wandered aimlessly, I wanted to pop into a hospital for an IV of fluid more than once! I could cope with no more than 10 minutes at a time of walking outside.

-It is a quiet town. There's no big interstate dividing east from west, or connecting AA to Abu Dhabi or Dubai, just simple highways.

-There are far fewer expats there. The information I read indicated that there is a greater percent of Emirati nationals in Al Ain. I have a lot to learn about my new home and neighbors.

-Aggressive taxi drivers. Whoa boys! Do I seem that gullible? Yes, 50 dirhams seemed like a deal (considering it would cost at least 200 dirhams on the meter) to get back to Abu Dhabi, but then why up it to 125 to get us to our hotel? Take no for an answer. We took the 10 dirham bus, which had the AC cranked up so much that we welcomed the heat when we arrived back in AD.

Overall, Al Ain neither looks that bad nor particularly good for me. The "Subway" sign I noticed got me all excited. But it was an underground walkway to cross a very busy road.

However, I am eager to move into an apartment already! (A mold free one, please.) I can't imagine a 2 hour bus ride to school for my first few days of work starting two Sundays from now.



2 comments:

  1. Well, it sounds like you are at least getting oriented. Since you don't have a classroom or apartment yet, which I know is frustrating, you have the time to do some exploring and learning that others don't have (I am trying to be optimistic -- is it working?).

    I am keeping you in my thoughts, and hope the adventure smooths out a little bit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stidmama! My friend just got her apartment situated, and I bought a futon that I could feasible use on her floor. I hope to not have to commute the 2 hours to AA for the first day of school!

    ReplyDelete